Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My hobby, photography


For my hobby, photography, let me start by saying that I'm still a novice shooter who started out to shoot landscape but since I don't travel much so landscape becomes rare thing to shoot.  Things have changed for me in a good way after I met a local shooter, Huy Phamwho also started out 4 years ago and has influenced me in a big way (I will come back to this more later) and we have become photography friends since.  That's when I began to learn how to shoot portrait and more importantly, environmental portrait.  With my kids and families, I now have no more excuse of saying that I don't have any "people" to shoot and that by photographing my kids, I have a chance to work and refine my techniques.


What gears do I own, you ask?  Sure, I'm a Canon shooter for a reason.  Canon offers a lot more choices of lenses and cameras at an affordable prices than its counterpart Nikon, so that's how I chose Canon.


My gears: 5dII, 17-40mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS.


Over the time, these are the successful and well-known photographers I have learned from and have followed them for a long time. The list will continue to be updated based on what style I like to shoot and me most.
  • Manny Librodo, landscape of emotion, who I learned to shoot my first environment portrait using natural light.
  • Neil Van Neikerk, wedding photographer in NJ, known for his best-selling off-camera Flash and on-camera flash book.
  • Steven Eastwood, fashion photographer in NY.
  • David Hobby, the king of off-camera flash with his famous Strobist blog.  If you're new with flash and want to know how to start, you should not miss this blog.
  • David Ziser, well-known wedding photographer, who is very meticulous at his loop lighting pattern on his portrait shots.  He is a fan of extreme wide-angle and fish-eye lenses and his photos will show you why so.
  • Huy Pham, a friend and my motivator.  You will definitely open your eyes to see his beautiful and breath-taking crafts.
Last but  not least, feel free to browse my Phi Tran @ PBase web site here for my photography works.


Below is my little 2-year-old girl, Sophie 'Cat Lynh'





And my beloved 5-year-old son, Ryan 'Huy'



No comments:

Post a Comment